Want to add more privacy to your Facebook account by locking your profile? By locking your profile, people who aren’t on your Facebook friends list will only see a limited view of the profile. Photos and posts, profile pictures and cover photos, stories and new posts on the locked profile timeline will only be shown to people who are on the friends list. Also, your ‘public’ posts will no longer be public and will only be visible to friends.
If you want to lock your Facebook profile, you can do this either from the mobile app or from your browser, however, it should be noted that the desktop version of Facebook does not have an option to lock your profile, but there is a workaround. Also, this feature is limited to android app, Read on to know how you can lock your Facebook profile.
lock facebook profile via mobile app
To lock your Facebook profile with the Android mobile app:
Open the Facebook app and tap on your profile
Next to ‘Add to Story’, tap the three-dot menu icon
Here, you should see a Lock Profile option, tap on it
The next page will give you a brief description of how it works and tap on it, with an option to lock your profile at the bottom
You should see a pop-up that says ‘You Lock Your Profile’, tap on OK
lock facebook profile on desktop
While there is no direct way to lock your app from the browser, there is a workaround you can use when you don’t have access to the mobile app:
- Go to https://www.facebook.com/
- Click on your profile icon In the URL, replace ‘www’ with ‘m’ so that the URL now reads ‘m.facebook.com/yourprofilename’
- This will take you to the mobile version of Facebook on your desktop browser and you will see a three dot menu next to the Edit Profile option.
- In the three dot menu you will see Lock Profile option, click on it
- Similar to the Android version, this next page will show you how locking works, with the option to Lock Your Profile at the bottom. Click on it
- Your profile is now locked
iOS users can use a desktop workaround to lock their profile or borrow an Android device and follow the above steps.
If you want to unlock your Facebook profile, the steps are the same on both the mobile app and desktop. Instead of Lock Profile option you will now see an Unlock Profile option, tap on it and on the next screen press Unlock. You will see a short description on how to unlock your profile and at the bottom you will see the option to unlock your profile, click on it and your profile will be unlocked.