AT&T, Verizon, Others to Pay $6 Million to Settle Probes Over Failed 911 Calls During 2020 Network Outages

[ad_1]

The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) said Friday that four telecom providers will pay a total of $6 million (about Rs 45,60,81,000) to settle investigations in compliance with the agency’s 911 reliability rules during the 2020 network outage.

AT&T, CenturyLink, now Lumen Technologies, intrado, And Verizon Communications Will implement compliance plans to ensure compliance FCC Emergency call rules. Lumen will pay $3.8 million (approximately Rs 28,88,51,300), while Intrado will pay $1.75 million (approximately Rs 13,30,23,600). AT&T will pay a total of $460,000 (about Rs 3,49,66,210 to settle the two probes), while Verizon will pay a $274,000 settlement.

FCC Chair Jessica Rosenworcel said, “The most important phone call you make may be a call to 911. It is important that phone companies prevent these interruptions wherever possible and provide prompt and adequate information to 911 call centers.” “

last month, T-Mobile USA The FCC agreed to settle the investigation for $19.5 million after more than 20,000 911 emergency calls failed due to a massive 2020 outage.

The settlement was prompted by an FCC investigation in June 2020 due to the shutdown for more than 12 hours, leading to overcrowding of the network of No. 3 wireless carrier T-Mobile, and of a “complete failure of more than 23,000 911 calls”. Cause.

T Mobile It has also been agreed with the FCC to make new commitments to improve 911 outage notices as part of the consent decree.

An October 2020 FCC report found that T-Mobile outages disrupted calling and texting services nationwide and access to data service in some areas. This resulted in failed calls totaling at least 250 million.

© Thomson Reuters 2021


,

[ad_2]